Abuja (Agenzia Fides) – “Boko Haram is still able to strike and unfortunately cause victims, but unlike a few months ago, no longer controls towns and villages”, says Fr. Patrick Tor Alumuku, Director of Social Communications of the Archdiocese of Abuja.
The Islamist sect struck in northern Nigeria, where 43 people were killed last week in attacks against four villages in Cameroon (11 died in an attack on July 12) and in Chad (15 victims in an explosion in the capital N ‘Djamena on July 14). These Countries, along with Nigeria have formed a military coalition that has allowed to regain the territories controlled by Boko Haram.
“President Muhammadu Buhari said it clearly a few days ago on television, saying that Boko Haram is under strong military pressure and is reacting to prove it is still be able to hit”, said Fr. Alumuku.
The policy launched by Buhari, who recently replaced all military leaders, is shared by much of the population. “According to a survey released yesterday, 70% of Nigerians share the policy of the new President in dealing with the threat of Boko Haram” says the priest.
“Boko Haram is no longer what it was once, it is no longer able to occupy entire areas. Its men are hiding in the forest in northern Nigeria or have moved to neighboring states, as demonstrated by the recent assaults in Cameroon, Chad and Niger”, said Fr. Alumuku.
Commenting on the news reported by a Nigerian newspaper, according to which a British expert stated that there seems to be several Christians, recruited as mercenaries in the ranks of Boko Haram, the priest says: “It is the first time I hear a story like this. It seems absurd, but in this world everything is possible”.
Help the refugees
Stories from our misionariesVisit or new site to read more chronicles from our missionaries
- ISIS’s Persisting, and Largely Ignored, Practice of Sexual Slavery
- Knights of Columbus unveil new campaign to aid Middle East Christians
- ASIA/PAKISTAN – Young Christian woman abducted and forced into Islamic marriage
- ASIA/YEMEN – Almost 2 million children forced to abandon school
- CHINA Wenzhou: 90-year-old bishop and 26 priests protest against cross demolitions